Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Time Flies

I have noticed lately that quite a few people are counting down to Christmas. Each of them have a different reason. I like it. Shopping days left, days until another celebration that is linked by mere date to Christmas day, days until a loved one returns home, days until a Christmas holiday away, days until hosting a family dinner, sleeps until Santa, and I am sure you have your own.

With each passing year, the celebration of Christmas changes for me. Expectations alter, gifting decreases, stress lowers, self care increases, appreciation for the small things soar, recognition of what it's all about (Jesus!) becomes more important, eating gets smarter & time becomes more precious.... another list that could be endless.

Christmas, no matter what you believe about it, is the time of year that milestones seem gauged by. I am thinking of what has happened in my life between last Christmas and this one. Another endless list, I won't bore you with it in it's entirety.

The Key things?
~moving
~major surgery
~career change(s)
~family dynamics
~loss of loved ones
~weddings
~births


Some things are bigger than others on the emotional scale, but all have had a very significant impact upon my life. Yet no matter what happens, each day is an opportunity to start off fresh with a great attitude. For the most part, that is how I approach the morning. The blahs and the downs are occasional, but not the dominant. Thanks God for that!

Have you ever looked at someone and thought that they might be a little too optimistic? Was it me? (LOL) I have yet to be formally charged with this crime, but I welcome the occasion. Then I will have an opportunity to share the optimistic side of the experience!

This post is feeling a little disjointed, but I had a great urge to write, so I figure there must be something here that needs to be read by someone. Maybe I just need to get it out!

We just came back from a most incredible weekend with friends in Quatsino. If you don't know where Quatsino is, google it, because it is close to the heart of God, I am pretty sure. Fresh crab, fresh ocean air, beach combing, tons of laughter, bits of rain, fishing on the dock, sunshine for days, Steam Donkey (might want to google that too, try Surgenor Breweries) and time with great friends.

Even just to drive to Coal Harbour, it's breathtaking. Over the past 12 years I have had many, many opportunities to drive that stretch of highway. The rainy snowy times were not the most comforting, but this time of year...Oh... Heaven on earth! Sunshine, mountains, streams, rivers, colours changing, leaves falling, perfection. If you love the fall, that is a drive I recommend.

A little reflection can be a good thing, I try not to dwell in the past, but taking stock of where we are in life and how we got to this place is not a bad thing.

As summer has closed it's doors once again, and fall is upon us, I believe that Christmas is actually 94 sleeps away.

1 comment:

  1. Glad Quatsino was great...I have not been to Coal Harbour in forever....Christmas is way too anticipated by most. I love the fall...I am going to dwell in the moment, and I love Thanksgiving, how about counting down to a day when all Canadians take a moment and reflect on what they are thankful for. Yeah sistah...

    ReplyDelete