Sunday, April 11, 2010

Time to reflect

I have recently been reconnected with a very dear friend whom I have not seen nor spoke to in about 12 years. As we are in the process of catching up, it is obvious how much time has gone by as we look at photographs of each others children. Wow, there is no escaping time when it is documented by the development of children into young adults.



This first photograph is of my kids in October 1992...shortly after Chelsea arrived to even out the boy girl ratio in the house. Whew! I had no idea how much I wanted to have a sister arrive for Julia, until the sister actually arrived.

(from left to right are Chelsea, Julia, Kalvin & Judd)

The next photo is from Christmas day 2008...I had by then become and continue to be the shortest member of this family! sigh....it was bound to happen.

(from left to right , Judd, me, Kalvin, Julia and Chelsea)



It is incredible to take a moment and realize just how much has happened in the time between these two photos. The level of amazement is still very high for me, as I watch them even now, discover and test new things. Being a parent to these amazing individuals has been a privilege. There have uncountable blessings as well as innumerable challenges.

(If you have seen me lately, you might have thought the reason I have funky different coloured hair often is because it is fun and I am admittingly a little out there! Well yeah... and the funky different colours hide the different sections of my hair that are now naturally occurring in varying shades of gray to white! )

As my baby girl prepares to graduate high school in one more semester, my thoughts are continually revisiting the past 23 1/2 years of my life. That is when I first became a mom.

Of all the things that I have done, being a mom the way I have been a mom to them, is the one thing I am glad I was able to grow into. Looking back at the beginning, I can see so many mistakes. What did I know? Not much. A little bit about a little bit. Now? I know a little bit about a lot more, but not much all tolled.

I know that choosing the things to battle over with them is critical. Wish I could say I always got it right, but you know I would be fibbing!

Reflection can be a wonderful filtering tool, I don't have to closely examine all of the difficult, less than desirable parts of each of these relationships. Yet I can pull out the lovely, fun, warm and fuzzy bits, holding them close and looking forward to more of the same.

Selective? Yes!

Balanced? Who cares!

We have lived through a lot of reality, right now I just want to reflect on the yummy stuff.

(these are 2 of the more current photos of Julia and Chelsea)



(these are 2 of the more current photos of Kalvin and Judd)

After all of that....I think I am ready for gramma-hood! Uhhhh, not today! But before I celebrate the 29th anniversary of my 21st birthday. That would be just fine :)




4 comments:

  1. comoxian@blogspot.comApril 11, 2010 at 9:49 PM

    I love your BLOG Rebs! Love your stories and pictures! :) comoxian@blogspot.com (I haven't got on for a few YEARS!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ms.comoxian.blogspot! I encourage you to get back at it. I don't write nearly as much as I think about writing, but when I do, it feels so good. And a great way to document a glimpse of life for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so blessed to have such a beautiful family. It is wonderful to see that our children have turned into such great young adults, despite our mistakes. Thank you God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Sweetheart, I thoroughly enjoy your blogs :) The wonderful thing about this blog is that I can fill in a lot of the spaces with mind pictures and memories of stories.Remember I love you forever! XXOO<3<3 from Mumma

    ReplyDelete