Monday, February 8, 2010

A funny thing happened on the way to the store...

How many times have you heard a story about someone from Vancouver who went to Mexico and met their Canadian next door neighbour by the pool in Play del Carmen?

Well, back in the 70's/80's I think it was Hawaii, but we seemed to have expanded our travels.

So my first night in Indonesia, I happily followed Kim to a ladies gathering where my ear quickly picked up on a familiar accent. Hmmmmmm, I started chatting with M#1, who is one of Kim's friends, she and her hubby have travelled the world, worked all over the place, but originally she was from England. Yorkshire to be exact. I knew I recognized the accent! One of the ladies I used to work with(M#2) was from Yorkshire and one of the fellows I work with now was from Yorkshire.

sidebar....Actually, another funny little fact... they are all M's! Do you think all of Yorkshire is named with M as the first initial???

I sent my current co-worker, M#3, an email and said, "Wouldn't you know it? I have traveled down below the equator and met a lovely lady who is originally from Yorkshire?" He promptly emails me back, "Oh my, what area is she from? I am from Bradford." I told him I wasn't sure but the next time I saw here I would be sure to ask.

Last night, on our way back from a family sporting event, we came across the path of a fine fellow who Kim has gotten to know, he is originally from B.C. He introduced her to his brother in-law who is over visiting from Canada. She asked him which part, he tells her Western Canada, the central interior actually. She perks up a bit and says, " Oh, which area, I have family around there?" He brightens up and says, "Quesnel?" Tris's ears perk up and he leans over and says,"Well do you know Bob and Betty Smith?" Brother in-law's entire face busts into a huge smile, " Well, I'll be, they are really good friends of ours! Known them for years!" So they exchanged a lot of little funny tidbits regarding the well known facts they share about Uncle B and Aunty B! I love this stuff!

Well wouldn't you know, my hostess with the mostess ( literally the best hostess!) let me tag along to another gathering of lovely ladies tonight and low and behold, M#1 was there! Straight away I said ," M#1! I heard back from M#3, he is wanting to know which area of Yorkshire you are from, he is from Bradford." Well, she waves her hand in such a way as to say, "oh of course, I know it well" then she replies, " I was from Hull, I used to pass through Bradford every day on my way to and from work!"

We all laughed and sighed over the fact that our great big world just isn't all that big these days.

M#1 then shared a story about when she was a teen living in Hull, knew a young fellow who was a wonderful mentor. He came from a family that had older brothers, but she didn't know them. One day , many many years later, while in Sydney, Australia, and stuck in traffic, there was a car beside her with it's window rolled down. She could hear them talking, and there was no mistaking that Hull accent! After a few questions and confirmations about areas that they had lived in, they quickly come to the realization that he is one of the older brothers of her friend/mentor from her teen years!

I love it when I hear stories like this. It just seems to make the world all that more cozy or something....you know what I forgot to ask though? Did his name start with M too?!

2 comments:

  1. P.S.

    Bob and Betty's names have been changed to protect the innocent! Ditto on the M's, #1, #2 and #3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep the blogs coming sweetheart, I am addicted to them now! Remember I love you forever! XXOO<3<3

    ReplyDelete