Friday, February 26, 2010

Ode to Jet Lag: For Herve and Christine, my new friends

Herve, Christine and their beautiful family arrived on Canadian soil after a long journey from France, on Friday night. Coincidentally, I arrived back on Canadian soil on Friday night also, after a long journey from Indonesia....we are all experiencing different levels of the dreaded Jet-Lag. Here is a little humour I could not resist jotting down while in the airport on Sunday, the final leg of my journey home, in the forefront of Jet Lag.

Enjoy!

Sunday, Feb 21st, 2010.... 2:15 p.m.
Can you die of sleep deprivation? Or does it just feel like it? Oh my goodness, if that lady walking around here with the clipboard comes over to ask me if she can ask me 'a few simple questions', I may throw up. the best part of my current travel situation is that I am traveling alone...that means if any little challenges come up or this tiny little irritation of no sleep causes an irrational response to the announcement, " Any passengers requiring a little extra assistance or traveling with small children may now approach the entry desk at Gate 14.", I won't have to worry about embarrassing anyone or apologizing for blaming them for something I am THINKING about. This may sound a little over the top if you are unfamiliar with that casually bantered about phrase....Jet Lag.

If this is a familiar experience for you, you are most likely nodding your head with a knowing smile playing upon your lips. That is, it would be your response if you are not currently sitting in an airport, feeling the scourge of that ridiculous phrase...Jet Lag!

Who called it that anyway? What kind of description is that? Lag? Are experiencing a slight 'lag' in our step or general demeanor? I really haven't noticed a lag at all! Say that 10 times in a row really fast - lag lag lag lag lag lag lag lag laglagal! Arg! What a dumb word... I am starting to hate that word. Oh great! Hear comes that pushy lady with the clipboard again. LADY! Which part of 5 hours of broken sleep in the past 72 hours are you not getting here?..oh, heh heh, she is talking to the guy behind me...oops! Oh my gosh, did she hear me? um, did I use my outside voice? Oh my gosh, did she hear me....Oh I am so sorry, all I really want is some sleep... It's not a good excuse for my lousy attitude I know. Please forgive me? It is so out of character for me. Honestly, usually I am pretty upbeat and optimistic in any situation. Oh when they say it is worse coming home, they weren't kidding. Who are THEY anyway?!

4 comments:

  1. Me, I am "THEY"... I always say it is worse coming home because it is... and I do have some experience with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not looking forward to my 5 days of travel to and from Haiti... by myself. Pray for my sista.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find coming home MUCH easier than going but realisticly it is the direction of your travel that matters. Travelling from west to east is always harder on me than travelling east to west. So it really depends on which direction around the world you flight takes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey They!!! haha, I am with the forward to before crowd... oh that time change backwards... 15 + hrs just fried my little head!

    ReplyDelete