Friday, February 12, 2010

Little reality check

Why is it when you are waiting for the milestone biggy events, they take so long to get to... but are so quick to wind up? I have been here for 12 days, only 6 more and I will leavin' on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again! Woosh, it is flying by.

We are making fantastic use of our time together though.


You know you are hangin' with a real friend when you both laugh hysterically over absolutely ridiculously frivolous hogwash. Too fun! There are many more photos, but since we are both a little challenged by the technical side of life and a little too weary to worry much about it at the moment, this is all ya get!

We went and tried wigs on in this gigantic mall, oh my gosh, I have never been in anything like it. Funny thing about being over here, it seems like everywhere you spend money, there are new best friends. Suffice it to say I have a few new best friends! ;-)





Another afternoon, we were so hot, soaked through from humidity hot, we decided to be goofy and pose in front of the camera... hence the last photo! After we were done we remembered that there is a/c in the house!! We are having a lot of fun and shedding a lot of tears...mostly laughing tears.

Those are the easy to share moments.

The thing that I find the most difficult to describe are the extremes throughout the city. Extreme opulence next door to devastating poverty. Marble and glass snugged up to the side of a rotting wood frame draped with torn, faded, remnants of fabric which is covered with a bent rusty metal sheet with holes throughout. Both are dwellings are somebody's home.

We drive by street vendors valiantly offering their wares while semi trucks and trailers pass within inches of their bare or flip-flop shod feet. What has impressed me tremendously over the past few days is the effort that is so apparent, both in and out of the city. Approx 14 million people live in the city of Jakarta, and most of the local residents that I have seen are either on their way somewhere or in the process of a days work. It is hot, it is humid, it is dirty. Everywhere. Yet people courageously stand in the middle of the most incredible un-choreographed maze of traffic I have ever seen in my life. They will possibly make a few dollars a day.

In my sheltered upbringing, I have never had to be half as brave as most of the people I have seen here. Reality is not always kind. As we pass by, I am not blase or becoming desensitized, but there is a shift happening inside of me. I trust that as I see and experience more of this 'life', God will give me wisdom in processing all of it. He will speak into my life in new ways, ideas to help less fortunate people to be able to be self sustaining in a new or improved way. These are not new ideas to me, but there is certainly room to improve most of the time.

I do not want to forget the laughter I have shared with my friend in the silly moments of our short time together, but I also do not want to forget the many, many, people we have passed by, whether in the car or on foot. Perspective can be a very good thing. There is so much opportunity to make a difference. My anticipation is for more; growth, courage, heart, compassion, sound business ideas, and yes....laughter.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait till you get back. You have seen so much. You will never be the same:)

    ReplyDelete