Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Taste of Olympic Town 2010

Here is a mere glimpse of the Olympic craziness from the perspective of a tremendously jetlagged Canadian woman upon immediate arrival from travels below the Equator...it was 37 deg celcius when I left, thankfully it was 15 deg celcius when I arrived in Vancouver!

Arriving at YVR International Airport 24 hrs ahead of my anticipated schedule allowed the opportunity to participate in some of the festive activities happening in downtown Vancouver.

It was Awesome!

I have never been a huge fan of the Olympics, but that being said, they are here, it is happening, let's enjoy it! So we did.

Mum and I were to meet Julia at Waterfront Station in the early afternoon last Saturday. The bonus of Julia being late was that mum and I got to observe about 547,000 people wandering, rushing, sitting, waiting, looking, wondering, asking, seeking, eating, meeting, coming, going, non stop throughout the hour. If you are a people watcher you are already thinking, "Fantastic!" And it was.






<--- 3 generations of wild women..... :-)

One the really neat things we saw was a group of sharply dressed young men who looked to be a navy uniform, although their white hats were a little large in comparison to our Canadian uniform hats. Soon enough we found out that they were Russian, and they were here with the Russian Tall Ships. On the way back home to mum's while on the Sea Bus, we saw the ship. Pretty awesome.














The day was BRILLIANT, it doesn't get any better in February! We bought some scrumptious deli food and ate on the dock at Granville Island.







While we were on the bus, heading across the bridge headed to G.I. someone seated at the front started singing the Canadian National Anthem....it brings tears to my eyes remembering it. The bus was packed with every nationality imaginable and every walk of life, within moments we were all singing. What struck me most was that as a Christian, with so much in the world focusing on free will and the universe, as opposed to the traditional Christian God, the line "God keep our land, Glorious and Free" was sung with absolute gusto and pride.

One of the street performers was a very talented and engaging fellow on a very tall unicycle, I was so captivated by the crowds, most of whom were decorated in some variance of National pride, red, or flags, or maple leaves..... many other nations were represented also. But for me, RED was the colour of the day. It was everywhere. Flags were being worn as capes, with pride, such as would be worn by a Super Hero. Hallelujah for pride in a Nation with freedom in every area of opportunity.

Although I was only a part of the excitement for one day, it will remain in my memory as one of the most exciting days I have ever spent. Electric and contagious enthusiasm filled the air, outbursts of song and boisterous greeting of strangers filled the streets, Canadian Flags dominated attire. Incredible!


Any of you who know my lovely mumma will not be at all surprised when I tell you that at one point Julia and I thought we had lost her! She had spied this lovely mascot and darted down the block to meet him. Forgetting that we did not know what she was doing or where she was going, like a little kid who sees a bouncerama across the lawn...she was GONE. Whew, then we heard her,"Rebecca , Julia, come and take our picture!!" It was hilarious! I love my mumma.

That was one of the best days of my life to date, since I am only 1/2 way to my 90th birthday, I anticipate many more of equal or greater value.

Life is Good.

I love being Canadian!

"God keep our land, Glorious and Free, Oh Canada we stand on gaurd for thee. "

2 comments:

  1. My Sweetheart, you certainly described the day perfectly~*~*All of the photos are stupendous!! The Russian tall ship, the view across the harbour from the Seabus, and the glorious crowds of people!!! Also, Mumma and the mascot! That is a keeper :) Thank you for sharing my Olympic Experience!! Remember I love you forever! XXOO<3<3 from Mumma

    ReplyDelete